miss b's quote

'I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list' Susan Sontag

Wednesday 5 September 2012

miss b loves ..........Munich, Day 1

The Fish Fountain,
 Marienplatz


I've finally sorted through the numerous photos from my weekend away in Munich which we managed to squeeze in a couple of weeks before our Hong Kong trip (you can read about the HK visit here and here). 

So....Munich....It's Germany's third largest city, famous for its beer gardens and lederhosen yet it is also dynamic, filled with wonderful buildings, modern museums, world-class art galleries, high-end shopping and a range of excellent restaurants and pavement cafés - I can certainly recommend it as an ideal city break..........

Day 1 began at Marienplatz a huge square in the centre.......


Every day the famous Glockenspiel Clock on the Rathaus(Town Hall) chimes and two stories are re-enacted by 32 life-sized figurines ....there's a wedding and a jousting scene accompanied by the 43 bells.



via
For a great view of the clock I went up to the third floor of the Hugendubel bookstore opposite..... and was surprised to see so many people just relaxing and reading - what a great idea!   
   

No time for me to sit and read though.....I was on a mission to see as much of Munich as I could.....next stop the wonderful Victualien market with its traditional stalls.......







The maypole displays the trades and crafts of the area.
  

It was then just a short walk to the Frauenkirche, the well-known cathedral with its two onion-domed towers(one being renovated!) which have become a symbol of Munich......



Time for a cappuccino and a delicious apple strudel with lashings of whipped cream in the traditional Café Hag.


Refreshed, it was then a long walk to  Englishcher Garten, a beautiful park where I spotted a bridge covered in love padlocks.

How cute!
...and the Monopteros Greek Temple......



I then headed back towards the Munich Residenz, the former royal palace of the Bavarian Monarchs. It houses the Bavarian crown jewels and was modelled on a Florentine palazzo.


On the Western side, on Residenz Strasse there are huge bronze lions which you are supposed to rub for luck. I had to wait my turn as a few other tourists had the same idea! 
  


A German friend had recommended the traditional Hofer restaurant. 




and we opted for a classic weiner schnitzel ........

Delicious!

So... the end of a very long Day 1 in Munich but still plenty more to discover. Hope you'll join me on Day 2.......coming very soon....

miss b recommends:

44 comments:

  1. Nice shots, it is a special city indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this all looks fantastic! i'd be delighted if i could visit Munich same day soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only been to Berlin which I loved, Munich is definitely on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonjour miss b. I have never been to Germany and am not likely to see Munich in the near future, so I enjoyed my visit today. Thank you for this comprehensive and entertaining tour, complete with culinary delights. Veronique (French Girl in Seattle)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm your new follower, I like your blog!!I hope you follow me back :*
    I was wondering if you can Like my FB page too? https://www.facebook.com/quincemarmalade

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! super pics!
    \thnx for sharring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos. They bring back memories...

    LUXESSED

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos. Very nice post!

    xx

    www.sickbytrend.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab photographs Miss B ! Gosh you are getting around this summer :)

    Joanne

    http://www.balletpumpsandroses.com

    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Miss B, you captured the beauty of Munich so well in this trip. I've been to Munich once only. I didn't like it that much. Maybe I should return and give it another chance. Great pictures. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you should definitely give it another try, Pamela.

      Delete
  11. Oh how I love fountains! in other countries!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I almost felt like I was there! Looks like a fantastic weekend :)
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've heard lots of great things about Munich as a vacation destination. Thanks for taking us along on yet another one of your traveling expeditions!! I had to chuckle when you said.. no time to read, gotta go.. that would be me. I came back from Europe exhausted because I had to see everything! The sites seeing is amazing here and I love the market.

    Enjoy your day!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I was certainly exhausted by the end of the day!

      Delete
  14. Your photos are fantastic! I especially love the little ducks and mice. Munich definitely looks like it's worth a visit :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So funny, I've just been to Munich as well and I just posted a few pics a few days ago :)
    Your photos are lovely! The ones with the Englischer Garten are much better, I went there at sunset and the photos are quite blurry :)
    I would also recommend Munich as a weekend city break!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, I need to go traveling, honestly!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Munich is a beautiful city! My grands is from there. I have not been there in a while. Gorgeous photos! -xx /Mads

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great post ! Congrats!

    http://cravingforbarneys.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never been to Munich, but I had a wonderful time when I visited Berlin for a short time and am planning to visit again later this month. Perhaps after I've seen everything there is to see there, I'll move on to Munich. Based on your post, it looks like a wonderful place!
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful shots, I specially loved the May Pole, I've been in Berlin but no Múnich however Germany has such wonderful cities.
    Thanks for your visit and nice comment, I also loved your blog would you like to keep in touch by twitter or Gfc?Kisses
    City-aholic.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I followed you by Gfc!thanks for your visit.
      Have a wonderful weekend

      Delete
  21. Well, we only got to the University area because Maria, our friend and host is currently studying there. This is how you get to know a bunch of cool places ;)
    The surfer spot is really cool, you should definitely check it out next time you're in Munich!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Munich looks gorgeous! I would love to visit.

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ah! This post brings back so many memories, I visited Munich a couple of years ago and fell in love with this city ... how pleasant it is to relive that experience but this time through your eyes ... Thank you for that!
    And thanks for your sweet comments on my previous posting, dear!
    If you go through my site, you will find my new post, I hope you enjoy it!

    Hope you have a fabulous weekend!
    Big hugs!

    Inés
    SimplyClassyMe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your travel posts, miss b! Gorgeous pictures and tons of fun facts! I've never been to Munich but it looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  25. thanks for stopping by my blog! what lovely pictures and the food looks delicious! :)


    http://fashion-gourmet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. This makes me think it's about time I did a bit more travelling!! Munich looks beautiful - and I'd gobble up that meal in a flash!!! I need to get my travelling shoes on again!!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  27. i don't like munich too much, i refer other german cities much more. but fon non-germans munich must be quite amazing....

    http://wardrobexperience.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  28. Just perused thru all your lovely Hong Kong pics. Just so lovely . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased to see that you are my newest follower - thank you!

      Delete
  29. Sounds like a lovely trip! I've never been to Munich .. and those bells with the wedding and jousting scenes going on sound fabulous! Love adventuring! Thank you for stopping by Ooh La Frou Frou lovely and helping to make my day! And I'm sure you'd love Sparkle ... people are beginning to tell me they've received theirs and that it's beautiful to look at ... can't wait to get mine! Have a wonderful rest of the week! ~Sandy

    SANDY M Illustration
    http://oohlafroufrou.blogspot.co,

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful photos! I look forward to visiting Munich and the rest of Germany one day!! It seems like such a magical land with unmatched history and architecture. Thanks for stopping by our blog! I'm so behind on posting my travel photos from France, Belgium and The UK and will be posting 3 or 4 posts per day to catch up! Hope you stop by again and check them out. Love your blog xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great photos! Thanks for giving us a glimpse into your travels :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I've loved traveling along with you...beautiful images!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. i so admire their statues and architecture. that clock is AMAZEBALLS!!! i've seen it in pictures and i fall in love with it each and every time. so detailed and gorgeous. i love that maypole too! thanks so much for sharing these pics! i love them!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  34. Such a lot of lovely comments - thanks everyone for taking the time to write a message! I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Dear Miss B : ) I am back home and finally visiting the blogs I missed : ) I have never been to Munich, except the airport, and would love to visit it soon. Your tour was a nice introduction : )

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment on my blog. I really do appreciate it. miss b

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...